Public buses in Shanghai are a particularly convenient means of transport, with some 1,100 bus lines covering the length and breadth of the city. Shanghai Railway Station, People's Square, Xujiahui, Zhongshan Park Wujiaochang, Shanghai Indoor Stadium and Dongchang Road serve as the main bus transfer stations in downtown Shanghai. Shenzhuang, Longyang Road and Zhangjiang Hi-Tech Park stations provide many routes to Shanghai's suburbs.
Shanghai public buses are identified either by numbers or Chinese characters. Buses can generally be classified into the following nine categories:
1. Downtown Regular Lines: 1 (01) - 200
2. Rush Hour Lines: 201 - 299 (although some include regular lines)
3. Night Lines: 301 - 399
4. Cross-River Lines (the new cross-river lines): 401 - 499
5. Bridge Line X, Tunnel Line X (the old cross-river lines): X = specific route number
6. Special Lines: 504 - 599, 801 - 899, 901 - 999
7. Pudong New District Special Lines: 601 - 699
8. Outskirts Regular Lines: 701 - 799
9. Suburban Lines: usually identified by Chinese characters representing an abbreviated form of the first and terminal stations' names.
Ticket prices vary depending on the category of the bus line:
• Categories 1, 2, 3, 5, 7 and 8 charge CNY1 per person for journeys within 13 kilometers (approx. 8 miles), and CNY1.5 thereafter. Air-conditioned buses charge CNY2 per person.
• Categories 4 and 6 charge according to the distance with a minimum of CNY1. Air-conditioned buses charge a minimum of CNY2.
• Category 9 buses charge according to the distance traveled with a minimum charge of CNY1 for both normal and air-conditioned buses.
It is recommended that you keep some loose change with you for bus journeys as some routes do not have a conductor. Coins need to be placed in the slot at the entrance to the bus. A Shanghai Public Transportation Card can also be purchased and used on most routes except some of the Special and Suburban Lines. More information can be obtained by calling 021-16088160.
Shanghai also has several Airport Lines which are discussed further in the Airport Transportation section. There are also ten designated Tourist Lines to help provide easy access around the city.
The main transit centers in the city are Shanghai Station, People's Square, Xu Jiahui area, Zhong Shan Park and the five-pointed square.
- People can design the bus lines with computers.
Details are in Shanghai traffic: www.jt.sh.ch and City traffic: www.chinaquest.com
- The bus ticket in Shanghai:
- No-conductor buses.
There are 1Yuan and 1.5Yuan tickets. The buses with double digit and three digit numbers which begins with 1 or 2 or 7 are mostly go without conductor. Passengers should prepare the changes. People can also buy commutation tickets. The ticket can not return if it is sold.
- diversified-ticket buses:
The special-lined buses with the first number of 5; special-lined buses to the new arrears of Pu Dong; the minibus lines with the first number of 8; the double-layered buses or air-conditioned buses with the first number of 9; many other air-conditioned tourism buses; the sightseeing buses.
|Shanghai Sightseeing Bus Center (Shanghai Stadium Station)
||666 Tianyaoqiao Road (Under No.5 Ladder)
|Shanghai Sightseeing Bus Center (Hongkou Station)
||444 East Jiangwan Rd. (Gate 2 Hongkou Football Field)
|Shanghai Sightseeing Bus Center (Yangpu Station)
||640 Longchang Rd. (Shanghai Yangpu Stadium)
|Shanghai Sightseeing Bus Center (Huangpu Departure Yard)
||1588 Waima Rd. (The west end of Nanpu Bridge)
|Shanghai Sightseeing Bus Center (Zha Bei Departure Yard)
||2266 Gonghexin Rd. (Shanghai Circus World)
|China International Travel Service Shanghai Tourist Automobile Service Company
||No. 10 Lane 45 Wuzhong Road
|Shanghai China Travel Bus Company
||52 Shenjiazhai Longhua Road (W)
|Shanghai Jiaotong Dayu Express Co., Ltd
||900 Longwu Road
|Shanghai Port Passengers General Terminal Inquery Office
||251 Songbao Road, Baoshan District
|Shanghai Railway Station Inquery Service
||Shanghai Railway Station
|Shanghai Railway Station Reservation Service
||Shanghai Railway Station
|Shanghai Merchants Intl. Airfreight Cruise Service Center Shanghai International Uniton Airlines Cruise Travel Co., Ltd
||Room 300B 8 Dapu Road
||64662099 64666073 64662100 63037500 63037548
|Shanghai Changjiang Shipping Co.
|| 800 Zhangyang Road
| Shanghai Harbour Passenger Transport Service Co.
|| 8 Yangshupu Road
| Shanghai Taxi Administrative Depertment
|| 1155 Zhongshan Road (S)